Gretchen Jones FW2011

I got an email from Gretchen this morning about her new website and collection. While I have been on the edge of my seat waiting to see what her new collection would look like after her big, controversial win on Project Runway Season 8, I must admit I was a little nervous. What if it didn’t live up to all the brouhaha and reckoning forces?? What if it sucked? She’s a lovely Portland lady and I didn’t want to see her pa-rump onto her ass after having had it handed to her after surviving everyone’s favorite fashion pressure cooker. I was feeling protective.

I am an idiot. My fears were completely unwarranted. Named after two songs by Zambian psych rock band, The Witch, “Black Tears and Strange Dream”, Gretchen’s Fall/Winter 2011 collection is absolutely stunning. STUNNING. Of course she’s kept with her bohemian fashion vision quest by naming the individual pieces from the collection after tarot cards from the Tarot of the Spirit deck. Gretchen cites these other inspirations behind her fall collection: Jean Michel Basquiat, Kurt Cobain, Buckminster Fuller, Frida Kahlo and the Arizona town of Arcosanti. My heart is full of happiness for her–it’s all been such a whirlwind with her PDX departure and move to NYC–it’s so good to see her land gracefully on both feet.

The beautiful jewelry Gretchen designed has its roots in the American Southwest, but isn’t an uninspired rehash of turquoise and silver from a souvenir stand. The pieces are simple and versatile and “are meant to be worn and interpreted by the wearer, a canvas upon which the woman who wears it can project her own personality and style”. It’s all beautiful and thoughtful. I need these big earrings!

See more of my posts about Gretchen’s work–HERE.

Here are my favorites from Gretchen Jones’ Fall/Winter 2011 collection:

all images courtesy of Gretchen Jones

Comments
13 Responses to “Gretchen Jones FW2011”
  1. Camila F. says:

The dresses are so pretty!

2. So beautiful! I love the accessories too!

3. annelouise says:

oh wow.

wow!

i know nothing about her project runway past; unfortunately not on tv in australia, though thank you for reminding me that i should download it!

those clothes are truly stunning. wonderful!!

what usually happens to the project runway people; do they usually go on to have successful careers? do they shake that tag or embrace it?

i’m going to check out more of her work now…

4. Colleen says:

What a lovely collection! Congrats to Gretchen!

5. Hi there, nice to meet you. Love your blog! I love these sculptural pieces , particularly the turqoise dress which looks so wearable, flattering and statement at same time (and slightly Egyptian…)Have a great weekend!

6. Amazing! The fabrics look so rich and decadent. Everything is absolutely wearable. I’m quite in awe.

7. Gretchen says:

Thank you so much for your worry and support!
    Your words have given me some much needed relief…as I too was on the edge of my seat and at my ‘wits end’ with fear about how my work would be received.

You give me hope for my future.

I hope to shake the tag swiftly…and allow my work to define me. not a show that helped me get there.

XO
    Gj

8. classiq says:

Lovely colors! The jumpsuit and dresses are so pretty!

9. Lisa Maria says:

I followed project runway religiously and am so glad to see her collection come out like it did. Go Gretchen!

10. Jen McCabe says:

Camila—Hi there. Don’t they look like they’d feel amazing?

Lauren—Yes!!

AnneLouise—Were you able to watch any episodes? I wonder if there are any online somewhere. I think what people have done with the opportunity has really varied. I think everyone has some bumps with it a bit and I’m sure there are some hoops to jump through for a while afterwards. It is sooo nice to see Gretchen come out with such a beautiful and cohesive full collection so quickly. She’s a powerhouse! Also—3 out of 8 winners are from Portland! We are a mossy hotbed of talented lovelies.

Colleen—Portland’s girl has done gooood!

Jody—Hi! Nice to meet you as well. Thanks so much for reading and commenting… and the nice words about my blog. Yes! I think slightly Egyptian as well—or possibly Aztec. Hope your week is going well.

Kara—Hi! Me too! :)

Gretchen—Your future looks pretty dreamy, my dear! Your hardwork is paying off. XOXOXO

classiq—Hello there! I agree!. :)

Lisa Maria—Me too. It seems unbelievably fast consider she moved across the country at the same time.

11. Jen McCabe says:

Fran–It IS painful, really. :)

Trackbacks
Check out what others are saying...
  1. […] view the full collection, check out Freckle Farm or Honey Kennedy, as it appears gretchenjonesnyc.com is out of commission […]