I Heart NY

Madonna in Desperately Seeking Susan.

I’m in NYC! I’d love to hear some of your favorite spots in NY–recommendations are very welcome! I’ll be gone for almost two weeks, but I’ve lined up some phenomenal guest bloggers. They’ll all be sharing posts with the theme of… LOOOOOVE. ♥

For the next few days I’ll be staying with Anna, Evan, Bruno and Fritz in their lovely home in the Hudson Valley. Then it’s back to the city–where I’ll get to hang out with Tom, Sarah, Nathan, Tamera, Jenna, Grace, Shilo, Alison and more Anna! I’m so excited that I feel a little sick to my stomach.

Dorky admission time… whenever I’m headed to New York I think about the film, Desperately Seeking Susan. It isn’t even that I lack any other more relevant associations–my family is from NY, I’ve spent quite a bit of time here as a child and an adult–I have lots of memories. I’m not sure what it is exactly. I think I saw the film at a certain age–when I was starting to imagine what my life might be like as an adult and, as I’ve said before, Madonna was one of my childhood idols.

Madge. I want those sunglasses.

I wanted to live in a giant dilapidated warehouse space above a Chinese restaurant. I wanted to hang out in rickety old movie theatres and watch rickety old movies. I wanted to go to all the vintage shops and put things on layaway. I wanted to get my breakfasts at an old diner with a hot, rumple-haired boy. I wanted to be a magician’s assistant. I wanted a busted vintage green sequin dress to wear with my fishnets. I wanted to eat Cheese Doodles while lounging in my bra–poolside. I wanted to dry my armpits in a public restroom. OK–that part isn’t true. I wanted $50 for the powder room. OK–that was a totally different movie.

Anything could happen! It always felt and still feels like everything is possible in New York–even for glamorous little misfits. I guess that’s the thing–New York will always feel like this place where the possibilities are endless. The history, music, art, industry and culture all collide and create this magnetic frenetic energy. I always feel like I get to keep some of it with me when I leave.

Take Care! See you when I get back! xoxo

Madonna and Robert Joy in Desperately Seeking Susan.

Images are stills from the film, Desperately Seeking Susan.

Comments
14 Responses to “I Heart NY”
  1. I am really envious that you will be in NYC for almost 2 weeks! I love that city so much. Have a fab time!

2. tamerajane says:

I want to meet Alison too! Dang!

Don’t do ALL the fun stuff before I get there. Also, I totally think of DSS too. I even had a suitcase stencilled with those skulls. Heck, I might even find the stencil when I unpack. The suitcase got mildewy. :(

3. amber says:

Here is a Google Map of some of my favorite hangouts! I need to make a shopping one! But this is a start!

4. Amal says:

Eep! I get so excited when people ask:

NYCMUSTS:
    1. Stop for a Sweet Revenge cupcake (the best one, though all are delicious) from Sweet Revenge (West Village).
    2. Visit Economy Candy (Lower East Side)
    3. Enjoy Dim Sum in Chinatown (I’m a fan of Joe’s Shanghai, especially if you have a big group to fill the round table with the Lazy Susan)
    4. Walk the High Line (Meatpacking) because the city looks that much cooler from a few feet higher. And the design is bonkers.
    5. Treat yourself to a cocktail at a speakeasy-style bar. My favorite is Death & Co. (East Village)
    6. Arepas are killer snacks, and I’ve never known better than Caracas (East Village), which happens to be on the same block as
    7. Big Gay Ice Cream, the best former ice cream truck turned shop

I could go on forever. Have a great trip!

5. Melissa says:

I wish NYC was exactly the same as it was in DSS (or even when I was in high school, jeez), then I’d like it more </3 (such a crotchety grandma I am).

Regardless, please eat pizza, bagels (and bialys!), and arancini DAILY for me while you're there. Thank you. I love eating in New York.

I'm sure you already have a few of these on your list, but here's several places I try to visit when I'm in town:

– Have you ever had a bialy? I'm always shocked because a lot of people don't know they exist. You should get one – they're good at Kossar's near Little Italy.

– Angelica Kitchen (noho/east village area) is a legendary/solid vegan and raw restaurant.

– Chelsea Market is a bit touristy but I love it? Also, food.

– Every time I go home I stop at Lifethyme market (West village). It's a small natural market but they sell premade foods as well – They're known for layered vegetable "pies" and lasagnas with quinoa and other awesome stuff, and I've never seen anything else like it in the world. I crave them! omg,here's a pic, I'm drooling. http://www.flickr.com/photos/jillpyle/4575532659/

– If you want expensive seafood, Aquagrill in Soho is the way to go.

– Built By Wendy flagship. Duh.

– I heard the Trailer Park Lounge (Chelsea) is a fun little dive/novelty bar, but haven't actually checked it out myself yet.

– Nights and Weekends in Greenpoint – great drinks, and some delicious little bar plates. Brazilian/Caribbean inspired. Pretty sure I had a drink with chopped hot peppers in it, yowza!

– Ferrara in little Italy is another tourist destination that I love despite myself. Old school Italian pastries.

– I love the Cooper Hewitt.

– Alta, near Wash. Sq Park, has the most amazing Tapas, EVER.

Hope this helps, enjoy your time!

6. Marisa says:

have fun jen! I’m excited to read about all your discoveries and adventures when you return!

7. Bria says:

Get into the groove, boy
    You’ve got to prove
    Your love to me, yeah
    Get up on your feet, yeah
    Step to the beat
    Boy what will it be?

Ah, totally. Have a great time! I will imagine you wearing boxing shorts, a garter, and lace stockings with those amazing sunglasses.

8. Sara says:

Have a great weekend!!!

9. I hope you have such a fabulous time! When I’m in NYC, I always love stopping by the fabric and notions store. Just cool places to go that get you inspired for DIY projects. And I too feel the same way whenever I go to the big city – empowered to conquer the world… in any outfit. Again, have a wonderful, wonderful, and marvelous time!

10. Courtney says:

New York is so exciting! Lucky! I have always loved Madonna and still do…everything about her. I listen to a playlist of her songs every single time I go to the gym :)

Thanks for sharing!

11. Lola says:

Don’t forget Queens! I hope you’ll take a moment to stop in my old boro for some of the best art (LIC) and restaurants (Astoria) in the city. Please give NYC my love, I miss it terribly!

12. AnnaK says:

I loooove ny! I go back once or 2x a year. It’s practically my second home.

13. Have an amazing trip! So exciting. I’m planning my first ever trip to NYC for later this year, thrilling stuff, not sure how I’m going to stand the wait (or raise the funds…) Looking forward to hearing about the things you discover there.

14. leila says:

anytime i think of ny, i think of desperately seeking susan, too! i love madonna and this movie. when i was little, i even bought boots like the ones in the movie haha.