Chicago!

I’m headed to Chicago next week and I’m wondering if you guys have any favorite places that I should check out? Are there any amazing shops, restaurants, bars, coffee shops, old timey places, galleries or other fun places you think I should visit? All I know is I’m going back to have cocktails at The Violet Hour (LOVE) again and I’m going to huff fancy perfume at Barneys. As sad as it is–I haven’t had any of that yummy pizza in Chicago I’ve heard exists. Can you help a girl out?

Awesome vintage Chicago postcards from Chuckman’s Collection.

Comments
32 Responses to “Chicago!”
  1. UPchicago says:

Check out http://upchicago.com for help finding some new unique gems in Chicago! Or let us know what you’re looking for, and we can help! Have fun!

2. A Horn says:

For Scandinavian fare try Tre Kronor in the North Park neighborhood.
    Just next door is the Sweden Shop with a great collection of goods.

For a great journey through the city I’d recommend taking the Brown Line from the loop to the end of the line. It is elevated the entire trip and offers a great perspective of Chicago. There are also many great neighborhoods just off the Brown Line.

If you’re looking for something guided, the Chicago Architecture Foundation offers soo many incredible tours. The River Tour is incredible. http://www.architecture.org/tours

For Argentine fare: Folklore in Wicker Park is quite delicious.
    Japanese: The Slurping Turtle in River North is the perfect comfort food
    Mexican: Anything by Rick Bayless

Enjoy your trip! I’m trying to move back and enjoy this great city once again.

3. Anna says:

It’s probably considered super touristy, but one of my favorite places in the city is Macy’s (formerly the original Marshall Fields) on State St. It still has that old-timey department store feel to me. There’s a flower show going on right now (and for another week, I think) on the 9th floor. Definitely try Frontera Fresco (one of Rick Bayless’s restaurants) on the 7th floor for lunch!

4. Rebecca says:

I grew up in Chicago and even though I live in California, I still find it to be my favorite city in the states. Really honest, loving people, a rich history, and a solidness and confidence that isn’t off-putting. Plus a really active art scene!

My favorites…

Food: Lou Malnati’s for pizza; Hot Dougs for dawgs; Greektown for Greek; Little Italy for Italian; Sultan’s Market for falafel; Indian/Pakistani on Devon

Shopping: Ikram; Village Discount Outlet & Unique for thrifting; Quimby’s for books; Broadway antique mall

Art/Museum: MCA for contemporary, The Art Institute (Thorne rooms in the basement!), Graham Foundation (architecture/art foundation in a beautiful Arts & Crafts home on the Gold Coast)

Take the architectural boat tour, visit Cloud Gate (the bean!), cruise down Lake Shore Drive, go see some blues or comedy and just enjoy the enormity and weight of the city! Have fun!

5. Leslie says:

If you do find yourself in the Damen/North/Milwaukee area, stop by Piece for pizza, so yum. Andersonville = thin crust well done at Calo. Logan Square pizza = Boiler Room…Ukrainian Village go for Pizza Metro (potato and rosemary). But if you are doing Chicago deep dish, Lou Malnati’s is my recco.

When friends visit I always advocate exploring 2-3 neighborhoods vs. downtown (esp. if they have been here before), have a great time!

6. DOTTO says:

ugh, everyone has such good recommendations.
    no one has said kuma’s corner, fan-tas-tic burgers but a 1-3 hour wait
    common ground- #1 green restaurant in america with rooftop garden

here are some secret spots:
    top floor of the harold washington library is gorgeous. I didn’t know what was up there when I first went so I won’t ruin the surprise- it’s AMAZING.

frank llyod wright lobby in the rookery building on la salle- also amazing

uuummm the most jaw dropping warehouse of vintage things from all over the world- architectural salvage in ravenswood

take care! have the best time.

7. Kelly says:

the slurping turtle, floriole, the original merz apothecary in lincoln square, xoco (rick bayless! churros!), intelligentsia at the monadnock building, quimby’s, the beautiful prairie garden across from the art institute in millenium park, the art institute, the museum of contemporary art, the bristol, lula cafe, and nightwood!!!

8. mollie says:

i’ve lived in chicago for almost 5 years now, and seeing the different neighborhoods is definitely the way to go! my personal favorite is andersonville- clark street is lined with cute shops, cafes, and good restaurants. i love dancing at mary’s attic (upstairs from hamburger mary’s), the beer selection at hopleaf, the martinis at marty’s, and the cinnamon rolls at ann sather’s. there is also a (lesbian) bar a few blocks away from clark called joie de vine where the owner will make you a custom drink- DELISH. the food is also amazing- last time i had an avocado with blood orange slices, pistachios, and sea salt on top. i also second everyone who said peqoud’s pizza is the best- the crust is amazing. my favorite museum is the shedd- they just completed a renovation on the oceanarium last year, and the view of the lake and skyline is amazing. the lincoln park zoo is also great (and free)!

9. mollie says:

i forgot to mention m. henry in andersonville for brunch. mmmmm.