City Hall Station

This abandoned 1904 City Hall subway stop is so beautifully preserved. I hadn’t heard about it until now! Apparently, it has been out of service since 1945 and isn’t open to the public at this time. I’m so glad these gents, John–Paul and Eric, went down to snap these photos. I wonder if my grandparents or other family members ever used this pretty stop! The tile and glasswork are gorgeous! More info HERE.

Photography by John-Paul Palescandolo + Eric Kazmirek.

Comments
15 Responses to “City Hall Station”
  1. oh wow, that does look so very cool. I wonder why it was shut down. I guess I’ll have to read the article to find out :)

2. Caitlin Rose says:

this is magical, I wonder if ghosts still ride the subway down there.

3. What a shame it is closed! Would that not make an awesome setting for a popup restaurant or speakeasy? Someone in New York needs to get on it. I mean, aren’t they building an underground park in an old train yard? Surely there must be a way for a entrepreneurial creative to turn it into something amazing.

4. Gisela&Zoe says:

always lovely interiors in those places!

5. sally says:

I’ve been meaning to check this out – apparently if you ride the 6 train a certain way, it goes through the abandoned station and you can see it through the windows. So cool. Thanks for the nudge :)

6. Phara says:

Wow, that place looks amazing, all those tiles and the colours!!
    X

7. Ilana says:

It’s a bummer they’ll probably never re-open it. :(. Not even for tours since the stop runs directly under city hall and it’s a security issue. Been dying to see it myself forever now!!

8. TieDye64 says:

Wow! What an amazing place.

9. april says:

this makes me think of that 90s tv version of beauty and the beast! i loved the underground beast-lair! so fancy!