Judson Girls

I love these photographs by Alfred Eisenstaedt taken at Judson College in Marion, Alabama. Just typical women’s college activities–sketching architecture in the leaves, reading in the cemetery, tomb lounging, reading in groups of three and holding hands in black robes.

honey-kennedy-judson-college-alfred-eisenstaedt-12

honey-kennedy-judson-college-alfred-eisenstaedt-10

honey-kennedy-judson-college-alfred-eisenstaedt-05

honey-kennedy-judson-college-alfred-eisenstaedt-06

honey-kennedy-judson-college-alfred-eisenstaedt-07

honey-kennedy-judson-college-alfred-eisenstaedt-11

honey-kennedy-judson-college-alfred-eisenstaedt-04

honey-kennedy-judson-college-alfred-eisenstaedt-17

honey-kennedy-judson-college-alfred-eisenstaedt-18

Photography by Alfred Eisenstaedt for Life Magazine.

Comments
19 Responses to “Judson Girls”
  1. maddie says:

wow. i’ve never seen these photos of eisenstaedt’s yet he’s one of my favorite photography. what I loved most about him was his ability to make the mundane gorgeous!

2. caitlin rose says:

omg I want to go. they should make a movie out of this photo series!

3. Cat says:

I graduated from Judson not too long ago. Marion, Alabama has changed a bit, but most of our traditions are timeless to a Judson girl. Thanks for sharing, these photos are wonderful.

4. Jessica Pirt (formally Randell) says:

Amazing how you will see some of these same photos in mdoern times. Beautiful.

5. Michele says:

I graduated from Judson as well! These pics are awesome! Love them! Brings back memories for me, even though things were a little different in 99-03 when I was there.

6. Jessica B. says:

I currently attend Judson College and as beautiful as these pictures are, they only show a portion of the true beauty of my school.

7. Stephanie A. says:

Judson College: 302 Bibb Street Marion, Alabama!

As a 2009 graduate I am very proud of Judson College to withstand the test of time! It still holds stong to its original mission: a faith based higher education for women! Everyone should see campus! Right now Judson College is celebrating its 175th year!!

8. Cassie says:

I love these pics so much! I attended Judson in 2000-2003 and those were some of the best days of my life. There’s definitely something special about that campus and you can feel it as soon as you walk on the grounds. I miss that time.

9. Malissa says:

I attended Judson College and graduated in 2001. It is truly a beautiful campus and an excellent liberal arts school. It was founded in 1838 and many of the traditions practiced by Judson girls go back that far as well. Seeing these picturesakes me want to go and visit my alma mater. Also, Cassie

10. Malissa says:

Oops hello Cassie from your great grand big ;)

11. Cathy Allen Gasser says:

I am a Judson Girl from 2001-05. LOVE this post! It truly is a beautiful and special place.

12. Susan Isbell Tomkins says:

I attended Judson 1974-1977, and am also a fan of Eisensteidt’s. These photos create a longing in me to return to a place and time that can only be accessed by memory

• Kathy Pohl Smith says:

Yes, Susan, these are gorgeous pictures of Judson. Some of them appear as if they could actually have been taken in ’75 when you and I were there. Fond memories of life years ago.

• Sutherland says:

Kathy & Susan,
      did either of you happen to know Emily Candace “Candy” Brock? I believe she attended from 74-77 as well??? I’m doing some family research and would love to connect with you if so. ;) Thanks

13. Rebecca says:

I am a current Judson girl. Thank you so much for sharing a glimpse of the beauty of our college. Judson is only 62 years younger than the United States! She has a remarkable, 175-year-old history, and many of the traditions of Judson women from generations ago are still honored today. For example, the picture of the girls holding hands in black robes is the final goodbye after graduation, and we still do that every year.

14. Benita says:

I am a proud Judson girl! This is my first time seeing these photos and I love every one of them. It is such a special place…so many great memories!!!

15. Kezia says:

I’m a Judson girl and I remember when I first saw these pictures. It’s chilling standing in some of those places. It’s amazing to be a part of such a legacy and walk where these women did and participate in the traditions they did. Time at Judson is unlike any other, even if you’re just visiting. It’s gorgeous.

16. Betty Ann Montz Pritchett-Colburn says:

Absolutely thrilling to view and remember honorable traditions of the college and hometown I love so much.

17. Susan Martin says: