Pretty Red Lips

honey kennedy : red lipstick roundup

PRETTY RED LIPSTICK: 1. dvf lips compact 2. illamasqua box red 3. chanel la fascinante 4. ilia wild child 5. nars pop life 6. nars jungle red 7. besame cherry red 8. mac viva glam 9. kat von d hellbent

So, I’ve been wearing red lipstick since I was 12. Yep, 12. Needless to say, I have worn and owned A LOT of reds. At first glance, many of my beloved reds may look quite similar to each other, BUT I’m here to say that each red is very different. Even slight shade differences and differences in texture (matte, creme, gloss, etc) totally change the look upon your pucker.

What are your favorite lipsticks? I’m mostly a matte or creme person and blue reds are what usually work best with my ghostly pallor. I’ll list a few more red standbys below! My friends, Anna and Teresa, both wear orange-y or coral reds and always look so pretty–they told me a few of their faves. I wish I could pull off those shades!

MORE OF MY FAVE RED LIPSTICKS
mac ruby woo / mac russian red / mac lady bug / mac dubonnet / chanel passion

ANNA + TERESA’S ORANGE-Y RED FAVES
mac lady danger (both picked!) / bite cosmetics apricot / lipstick queen genre lip pencil

Comments
8 Responses to “Pretty Red Lips”
  1. Jess says:

Love your picks, a Chanel red I ‘borrowed’ from my mom was one of my very first reds many years ago. Tarte’s Lipsurgence matte tint in Fiery is amazing and quickly becoming my new favorite. So velvety it makes me feel very Veronica Lake, and as a bonus it’s all natural.

2. Kat says:

Have you ever tried Julie Hewett? I don’t usually go too matte or pigmented, but I love her line of Noir lipsticks. Oona is my favorite (a slightly sheer, dark red), but Belle Noir and Femme Noir are perfect go tos when you want a little extra oomph. Plus, the tube is gold and kind of deco-looking – so pretty on your dresser top or in your makeup bag.

3. allison b-t says:

i love nars lipsticks for their creamy / almost matte consistency and finish. i currently wear nars in ‘heat wave’ when i want to go red. it’s more orange based and i was just thinking last night that i should pick up a blue red for a more dramatic look. i love the ilia shade too!

4. Sophia says:

Ilia’s lip conditioner in Crimson and Clover! My favorite yet. Surprisingly strong red.

5. maggie says:

Love me a classic red lip – just in time for the holidays!

6. A red lip is my favorite accessory. My go to is mac’s russian red. I need that lip compact…

7. Lisa L. says:

What great picks. I usually don’t wear a bold red lip, since my skin is so fare, but I like the lighter red. YSL has some pretty lovely options that aren’t too overwhelming. :D

Always,
    Mostly Lisa

8. Suzanne says:

Great selection of reds. My new favorite is Stila stay all day liquid lipstick in Beso. It’s the perfect shade of bright red, it’s matte and it lasts forrrrevvverrrrr.