Year of the Horse

honey-kennedy-vera-zorina-goldwyn-follies-1938-01

Happy New Year! I feel like a lot of us are still yawning and stretching to get out of our 2013 beds. As the years pass, I become more comfortable with that being the way I roll into a new year. I feel like I usually meander into the new year at a slow pace and then suddenly I’m running at full-speed all over again before I’ve had enough time to craft a feasible plan on how to take better care of myself, my loved ones and my future. This year, I’d like to be more thoughtful and specific about my list of goals and wishes for the days to come, so I’m giving myself more time to mull it all over. It works for some to jump in, but I think it’s OK to let yourself off the hook from becoming an entirely “new you” when you open your eyes on the first day of January if that feels too daunting or unrealistic. Plus, I know one of my intentions for 2014 is to not put so much pressure on myself–so, I’m already following through! Ha.

This year is the Year of the Wooden Horse and, from what I’ve gleaned, it’s a good year for travel, to “go for it” and take chances, but not for everyone or for every scenario. For me, that means I need to know my limits and map some things out, so my mind can work in harmony with my gut instincts about those leaps. I’m also not a harmonious Chinese zodiac sign to the horse, so the word on the street is that those who aren’t a Horse, Tiger, Dog or Sheep should be a bit more cautious about their choices. Good to know because I have a lot of big decisions and plans to make this year! I’ll post my list once I get it all sorted out.

How do you like to embrace a new year? I love to hear about other people’s processes. Best wishes to you all! Remember to put being kind to yourself first on your list. ♥

honey-kennedy-vera-zorina-goldwyn-follies-1938-02

IMAGES: Promo photos of ballerina, Vera Zorina, for The Goldwyn Follies in 1938.

Comments
6 Responses to “Year of the Horse”
  1. allison b-t says:

ooh, thanks for this! i am a horse and reading another breakdown recently, it stated that horses don’t fare well in horse years. i have decided to go with the far more positive and sunny advice given in the link you posted instead! ;)

as for taking your time to approach the new year, i am right there with you. a new year always excites me with it’s possibilities but it takes time and planning to chart your path and not being ready to hit the ground running on the 1st seems like a given to me.

happy new year, jen!

2. maggie says:

Even though I am a snake, I feel like this is a year where I am going to take risks first and think later. I know that seems silly, but something in my gut tells me it’s right. Here’s to a wonderful 2014 for all of us!

3. Sasha says:

I’m a horse but regardless I need to take risks this year. I just started my first year of graduate school in the fall and I’ve got a lot of opportunities I’ll need to take–and ones I’m excited about taking! Despite how methodically I usually am about planning, I’ve decided that this year I’m going to go with my gut. Last year it steered me pretty well and I’m excited to see how this year shapes up.

Happy new year!

4. anja says:

That photo is perfect. GO FOR IT LADY ON HORSE!

5. Inge says:

Being kind to myself is a big one for me. I’m such a perfectionist and so hard on myself, that I’ve made my goals with being kind to myself in mind. Actually, if I manage only that one this year, I consider it a success!
    I also loved to read how you ease into the new year instead of becoming a new you when the clock strikes twelve! Made me realize how silly it is for me to at least partly expect that I would be. I’m easing in and being kind about it ;)
    Happy new year!

6. Becka says:

This is really great, Jen. I love the idea of a slow start into a New Year and into change. 2013 has been so weird & hard that instead of having big grand plans and ideas for this year I’m actually really happy for just a very normal and unassuming 2014 where we can regroup and just live for a bit. We usually have a big dreaming and planning session at the start of each year, my husband and I, and reflect on the year been but this time with a move to a new city happening in a little over a week the only plans either of us wanted to really make was to settle into a new house and go slow for a bit.

I hope 2014 is fantastic for you!