Enough.

honey-kennedy-coretta-scott-king-family-mlk-funeral

I had some wonderful design posts planned for this week, but I just couldn’t do it — not right now. Not while we’re waking up each day to more innocent people losing their lives. It’s heartbreaking, it’s infuriating, it’s chaotic, it’s disorienting, it’s terrifying, and it needs to stop. We already lost so many brave men and women who fought this fight for us. Why are we still here? Why are we going backwards? ENOUGH. BLACK LIVES MATTER.

Yes, it feels ridiculous to even have to say it, because OF COURSE THEY DO, but we have to keep saying it. Loud and on repeat. Especially those of us who are white and living with an abundance of privileges we often take for granted while we’re comparing ourselves to people who have even more. Because of the color of our skin, we are born with some “privileges” that should be basic human rights for everyone. Hearing people chime in with “all lives matter” is repugnant, moronic, and disrespectful. Don’t dilute the issues at hand with your need to seem wholly inclusive. Of course all lives matter, but that’s not where we’re at when black men are losing their lives while being stopped by police for a broken headlight. Being privileged, we are also more likely to have the ear, or be closer to the ears, of the people who need to hear it most. Prejudice is learned and taught by example — babies aren’t born with it. Fear is learned and taught by example — babies aren’t born with it. Hate is learned and taught by example — babies aren’t born with it. BLACK LIVES MATTER.

The system is broken and there are broken people holding guns. People who have been taught prejudice, fear, and hate. If the police officers who shot Philando Castile and Alton Sterling felt justified in killing these two innocent black men, you can be certain that they aren’t the only broken people in their department and precinct and state who need to be educated and, most likely, shouldn’t be in law enforcement in the first place. If every single police station in every single city and small town in our country isn’t working on retraining, rethinking, and showing a no tolerance solidarity towards racism and all prejudice — we’re still going to have these senseless deaths of beautiful men and women just trying to live their lives. Those officers need to be held accountable and so do their chiefs. How are the Minneapolis police going to justify what they did to the faces of the 500+ children that loved Philando Castile at the school where he worked?? Their actions have a ripple effect and these little babes are victims of their actions. BLACK LIVES MATTER.

In the wake of the shootings of Philando Castile and Alton Sterling, the police officers and civilians in Dallas, the primarily LGBTQ and hispanic deaths in Orlando, and all the rest of lives lost to prejudice, hate, and fear, it can be difficult to know what to do. How to help. Where to look. How to make it stop. I honestly don’t know the answers to these questions and would love to hear from black community leaders and families affected by these horrific murders about how they think we can all come together and what role they would like people to take. Until then, we have to keep talking about it, keep questioning, keep pushing, keep watching, and keep holding people accountable. We also need to look out for our neighbors and show courtesy, kindness, and heart. We need to say NO to politicians who want to build walls and ride a wave of racism, hate and intolerance while moving our country backwards. They want to teach ANOTHER generation of young people to be filled with prejudice, fear, hate and intolerance — and they want to give them easy access to assault rifles. We have the privilege of saying NO to this right now. BLACK LIVES MATTER.

I love design and I love being able to offer a calm in the storm here for you and for myself. I’ll be back to posting regular content next week, but there is more I want to talk about with everything that is going on in our country and the world right now. I’d love to hear your thoughts. We all need each other to keep sane in a world that seems anything but. It’s so overwhelming and exhausting, but I know more good people than bad. It’s a time to stand up for what you believe in — even if it’s in the face of your own family where you might find the prejudice, fear and intolerance. It’s time to teach by example and loud voices. It’s time to take care of each other. BLACK LIVES MATTER.

♥ With So Much Love,
Jen

IMAGE: Coretta Scott King and daughter, Yolanda, in a car headed to the funeral for activist and civil rights leader Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr in Atlanta, Georgia on April 9, 1968. Photo by Santi Visalli.

Comments
22 Responses to “Enough.”
  1. Hannah says:

Thank you for writing this Jen. You are so right. <3

2. Jen says:

Thanks for writing this…my 13 year-old son is in Dallas this week at a fencing tournament in the convention center downtown, and got a front-row seat to what happened there yesterday, hotel lockdown and low-flying helicopters and all. Not that he and the other kids he’s with have suffered anything like others directly involved in any of these horrible events, but something has to change.

• Jen McCabe says:

Uuuuggggh. I’m so sorry to hear that. Watching the kids on the new footage running away from the bullets was so heartbreaking. I hope your boy is OK. He’ll never forget it. ❤️

3. Alicia P. says:

Thank you for taking the time and effort to say what I can’t manage to find words for today. Yes to it all.

• Jen McCabe says:

Oh, girl. So many more words want to come out. We’re all feeling like “where do we fucking live???” It’s too much. xo ❤️

4. emily says:

Beautiful & true & brave.
    “Don’t dilute the issues at hand…” *high five*

5. Brittany says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I’m so happy to see an intelligent and thoughtful response to this epidemic even on a blog devoted to typically more superfluous things. I love this blog in spite of my frequent inability to keep up, economically, with its aspirations. Thank you for being so soulful and for positioning yourself on the right side of history. I will feel happy and proud to visit your site in the future!

• Jen McCabe says:

Thanks, Brittany! I’m happy to hear it! Of course, I personally don’t find featuring small independent businesses primarily owned, operated and handmade by women to be in the superfluous category, but I understand where you’re coming from! I appreciate the beauty, genius, ingenuity, and heart that goes into these things I feature – even when I can’t afford them. ❤️

6. Tara says:

Right on, Jen. I agree with every word you wrote.

7. To quote my friend Meredith, “Some days I just want to grab every person I pass and cup their little face and say, ‘Take care of yourself. I actively care about you. Do not harm anyone else.'”

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Jen. I love you and am thankful for the hope expressed in your post. When our hearts get broken, they’re softer and easier to reshape. Love and hope are our best chances against this heinous shit. We gotta stay intact and remain indignant.

Dos besos. I miss you.

• Jen McCabe says:

Yes, totally agree! If everyone were truly taken care of and told consistently that they are loved and accepted for who they are, are talented and beautiful – the world would be a different place.

I love you, JI! xoxo

8. Debbe says:

I’m so glad I made time to read your thoughts in their entirety and am proud to call you my friend. As a sister to two siblings that are black I witness prejudice everyday from the well meaning, ultra liberal, people of our city. And the everyday horrors they experience when not in Portland would scare the life out of any white person, yet they take it in stride as part of their life. Getting pulled over by the police for no reason, being strip searched and even having a ‘cavity search’ at the airport (as bad as it sounds) since they are from a country the is known for drugs. Every day of the year white people are treated more fairly than those with black or brown skin. We all have the same human body under our thin layer of skin. Black Lives Matter.

• Jen McCabe says:

Thanks, Debbe! Absolutely. I see it often enough to be really disturbed by it just amongst this community of “liberals” in our Portland bubble — and it is probably more subtle than what goes on when they aren’t trying to be pc. I’m sorry for what your siblings have to tolerate and what they keep getting put through. ❤️

9. Dawn says:

That was POWERFUL!

10. Lisa says:

Thanks for this post. Speaking up and using your voice is EVERYTHING.

11. kim says:

I’m a black woman who regularly visits your site (love it!). Thank you for speaking out and bringing more awareness to this issue.