Hello friends. Does it feel like the final stretch? Yeah… I think it definitely has that final stretch time o’ the year vibe now. There are some fantastic shopping events from now until next Friday and then there will be the mad dash at the eleventh hour. BUT until then–we have these lovely chill events with amazing makers and shops to buy from and people magically handing us cups of cheer while we do it. Happy Holidays, you guys!! xo Jen
P.S. Come enter my mega omg wtf insanely awesome “LET IT GO” HOLIDAY GIVEAWAY! (Amazing loot from Schoolhouse Electric, Tanner Goods, Tiro Tiro, OLO, Bridge & Burn, Pendleton, Nell & Mary, Summerland, Flutter, Eden and a bunch more awesome shops!)
➔ I HEART PDX
♡ Tonight, Thursday, December 12, Una will be having a lovely holiday shopping event from 5PM–9PM! Besides all the treasure at Una–Better Late Than Never, Hilary Horvath, Sara Barner, Boet, Jacqueline Davis and Esser Vesper will be in attendance. Lots of locally made goods, drinks and snacks. A portion of the proceeds to be donated to an amazing women’s charity, Bradley Angle! Una is at 922 SE Ankeny St. MORE INFO.
♡ Tonight, Thursday, December 12, stop by Backtalk PDX for a night of fashion and art with REIF X DASHA. Lovely designs from Lindsey Reif for under $60 and Dasha’s illustrations and woodburn studies. There will also be lots of wine! From 7PM–9:30PM Backtalk PDX is at 3962 N. Mississippi Ave. MORE INFO.
♡ Today, Thursday, December 12, from 4PM–7PM Flora will be having a chocolate and honey tasting with Faith from Bees & Beans. They will be giving out samples of her handmade chocolate bars so you can choose your faves for gifts. Honey tasting with suggestions for tea pairings will be happening at the tea bar! Flora is at 917 SW Washington St. MORE INFO.
♡ On Friday, December 13, Lille Boutique will be hosting a lingerie trunk show and meet-and-greet with NY-based designer, Samantha Chang. Stop by from 5-9pm for a night of fine lingerie, free gifts and holiday cheer! Take 10% off storewide and get a goodie bag with purchase while supplies last. Lille is at 1007 E. Burnside. MORE INFO.
♡ On Friday, December 13, stop by the OKO + THURMAN STREET STUDIOS HOLIDAY SALE. Come celebrate the holidays at a little party with food and drinks from 5PM–9PM on Friday. There will also be open studios all day Saturday and Sunday with Liza Rietz, Emily Katz, Steve Kelly, Paul Bishop Hsin-Yi Huang, Gail Heyman, Cheryl Cameron. OKO is at 2774 NW Thurman St. MORE INFO.
♡ On Friday, December 13, the Montavilla neighborhood will be hosting the Merry Montavilla Soiree: An Elfin Good Time from 6PM–11PM on SE Stark from 76th–82nd. There will be beer, cocktail and food specials up and down Stark, free snacks, live music, caroling, photo booths & more. Also, Ugliest Christmas Sweater Ever and Best Santa suit prizes. MORE INFO.
♡ Tomorrow, Friday, December 13, Shop Adorn is having their Lucky Thirteen Party from 3PM–7PM. Complimentary gift wrapping, discounts, special pieces, gifts for every budget, wine and treats. Shop Adorn is at 4120 NE Fremont. MORE INFO.
♡ On Saturday, December 14 and Sunday, December 15, stop by The Makery Winter Market to shop more than 20 amazing local makers! The market is open from 10AM–5PM each day. Come shop: Caravan Pacific, Studio Olivine, Pigeon Toe Ceramics, Syrk Tableware, The Harkaway Project, Studio ERG, Non Perishable Goods, Coatt, Demimonde, Nell & Mary, Make it Good, Anna Joyce, Reif, Portland Apothecary, Monico Flores, Better Late Than Never, Revolution Design House, Sara Barner, Steel Life, Betsy & Iya, Vitreluxe, Laura Irwin and Espe Floral. There will be cocktails from Dig a Pony, craft beers from Widmer Brewing, locally-roasted coffee and DJ tunes. AND food carts. MORE INFO.
♡ This Saturday, December 14, come to the Seaworthy X Seaecho X RabbitRabbit Open Studio and Sale! Come for afternoon shopping fun with these lovely folks from NOON–5PM. Special discount for first 10 sales! See their entire collections and shop new items and discounts. Drinks and prizes! Boxlift Lofts is at 333 NE Hancock #5 (corner of MLK and Hancock). MORE INFO.
♡ This Saturday, Dec 14 and Sunday, Dec 15, is the big Crafty Wonderland Super Colossal Holiday Sale at the Oregon Convention Center from 11AM–6PM both days. 250+ vendors of handmade loot, gift wrapping, book signings, all ages, free admission, craft activities and more! The sale is at OCC 777 NE MLK Jr. Blvd, Exhibit Hall D. MORE INFO.
♡ On Saturday, December 15, Amelia will be having their fun holiday party during Alberta’s Gnome for the Holidays week. Just get dressed up and cheers with some sweet local people. Amelia’s dresses will be stocked and ready for you to fancy yourself up if you’d like! MORE INFO.
♡ On Tuesday, December 17, many shops at 811 E. Burnside will be having a fun night sale from 7PM—9PM. Summerland (15% off), Haunt (15% off), Nationale (10% off), Sword+Fern (15% vintage and ceramics), Bombshell Vintage (10%-20% off), and Redux will all be open late and each hosting their own holiday sales and parties on the same night. Come by for a cup of holiday cheer with some of your favorite shop owners and designers. Just go to 811 E. Burnside and wander into the shops.
♡ Next Thursday, December 19, Din Din will be hosting a fun Come Together: Holiday Shopping & Imbibing event from 4PM—8PM. 10 local makers will be there selling their lovely wares: Reif, Takara, Chelsea Heffner, Emily Wyant, Esser/Vesper, Adam Porterfield, Emily Katz, Tomahawk, Annie McLaughlin and Modern Artifact. $10 entry fee gets you in to enjoy wine and hors d’oeuvres. Din Din is at 920 NE Glisan St.
♡ Next Thursday, December 19, from 4PM–8PM Flora will be having a customized jewelry and heirloom knives event with Oaks Bottom Forge and Jody from Elysium Jewelry. There will be an array of hand forged heirloom quality mushroom knives, kitchen knives and hunting knives and Jody will be making custom jewels while you shop. Flora is at 917 SW Washington St. MORE INFO.
♡ Next Friday, December 20, Shop Adorn is having their The Eleventh Hour Party from 10AM–7PM. Wishlist help, beer, gifts and special gift packs, free gift wrap, Lulu jewelry. Bring the kids for free bracelet making while you shop! Shop Adorn is at 4120 NE Fremont. MORE INFO.
♡ The Oregon Zoo Zoolights are coming! November 29 through January 5 come see the Oregon Zoo looking even more magical decked out in over a million lights! ZooLights schedule: Sunday–Thursday hours: ZooLights gates are open from 5-8PM and guests may stay on zoo grounds until 9PM. Friday & Saturday hours: ZooLights gates are open from 5-8:30PM and guests may stay on grounds until 9:30PM. Closed Dec 24 & 25. MORE INFO.
♡ It’s time to get tickets for George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker. HERE.
ABOVE IMAGES: Beautiful images from “Northern Lights”, the Eden Holiday Look Book No. 2. Photography: Eric Rose Hair + Makeup: Kassandra Sommerville Model: Marika Emerson All clothing and accessories are from Eden.
I love the all of beautiful handmade goods at Koromiko! Tracey does such a wonderful job stocking her shop full of special creations made small designers and makers. Here are a few of my current faves below–I especially love her ceramics and lovely textiles. I also love that Koromiko donates 5% of their profits to organizations that support arts! More HERE.
If you follow me on Instagram, you know I am very into making interesting beverage concoctions–especially during the fall and winter. A lot of those recipes incorporate one or more of the magic machines above! I know I’m not the only one who derives immense joy from the taste, scent and lovely sight of making a fancy little beverage to take a pause. It’s such a good, simple ritual and sweet way to treat yourself. These are all things I own and recommend, but had no idea I’d get so chatty! Hope this guide helps you find some gifts!
A lot of the things I’ve listed here are from Williams-Sonoma and it looks like they have FREE US SHIPPING on all orders right now thru December 15 with code: FREESHIP
1. SAECO ESPRESSO MACHINE: This is the brand, but not the model we use at home. The reason why it isn’t the same model is because we’ve had ours for almost TEN YEARS! I did a lot of coffee nerd reading before buying it and it paid off because (*knock on wood*) it has pulled perfect shots for almost a decade. I’ve also heard that the Nespresso Citiz Espresso Machine is really good (the new shiny chrome model is so pretty!), but I’m weird and like the whole process of buying different beans from small roasters and the manual part of pulling shots. Must be from my Seattle barista days! #coffeesnobforever
2. TECHNIVORM MOCCAMASTER COFFEE MAKER: This machine really does brew a pretty magical cup of coffee and it is another delight for coffee nerds. Ours was a gift I got for my husband and I don’t think there has been a day that has gone by in nearly a year where he hasn’t professed his love for it or expounded on it’s magnificence. I love it too, but I’m more likely to use our espresso machine, my french press or have tea. For morning drip coffee lovers this is fantastic and even better because it’s a pour over style machine! A yummy, smooth cup of coffee for coffee purists.
3. ISI GOURMET WHIP: Years ago, a friend of mine worked at a fancy kitchen store during the holidays to make some extra cash while in college. I benefited from her employment when she gave me her big employee discounts to score one of these beauties. I know it’s a strange thing for a young woman to want, but I’d had a miserable breakup and while some people get over breakups by drinking heavily or rebounding hardcore–I’ve ALWAYS been more about fancy bedding and other ‘new start’ pampering items. OK–and maybe some gin. So, I’ve had mine for a little over FIFTEEN YEARS and it still works great! Also, you can make more than whipped cream in it. More HERE.
4. ISI MINI CREAM WHIP: I don’t own this one, but it is less expensive than the one I have above. Of course, it’s features are more limited too, but if you or a loved one want a fancy cafe whipped cream experience at your whim at home–I think this looks like a lovely option. Nice gift for a beverage obsessive–it’s such a luxury to have at home and so fun when you have company over for boozy coffee drinks or cocoa.
5. NESPRESSO MILK FOAMER PLUS: I highly recommend one of these beauties as a gift for yourself or loved ones. I’ve had the best luck with 2% or whole milk dairy, but a number of friends have said they’ve had luck getting good foam with almond milk and soy. This “plus” model makes giant peaks of velvety warm foam or if you like adding velvety foam to iced drinks (so good)–it makes cold milk foam too!! Another attachment also just heats up milk without foam if that’s what you need for your drink. Just fantastic–I use ours all the time in coffee and LOVE piling it over strong Earl Grey and honey. The Nespresso Citiz Espresso Machine includes this fancy foamer or you can buy them separately.
6. KITCHENAID STAND MIXER: I mean, this really just speaks for itself, right? We’ve had it for 7 years without a single issue, zillions of attachments are available, zillions of colors available (I am crazy and picked WHITE!?), kitchen workhorse staple, blah, blah blah.
7. WHIRLEY POP STOVETOP POPCORN MAKER: My husband came into our relationship with one of these basically attached to his arm. If he were a version of Edward Scissorhands–he would totally be James Whirleypoparms. Yes, there is a lot of butter or coconut oil that comes with each batch, but it tastes really good. I’m not even a major popcorn person and I love being given the meager portion that I am sometimes allowed to have when Jim makes popcorn. SO GOOD WITH MAPLE PEPPER!
8. RÖSLE GARLIC PRESS: We use A LOT of garlic around our house and I’ve been using this garlic press for 8 years. I’d previously had a couple inferior presses and the ease of use and reliability difference once I bought the Porsche of garlic gadgets was immediately clear. I really love all the Rösle kitchen tools I’ve invested in over the years. Everything is so sturdy and a great design. Their peelers and tongs are fantastic, too!
9. CUISINART 16-CUP DIE-CAST FOOD PROCESSOR: I was mesmerized by this beautiful kitchen beast once our food processor started to seem a little clunky. How could you not be mesmerized by a food processor that you can drop A WHOLE POTATO OR LARGE BEET into and create perfect thin discs in a 1.5 seconds?? I watched the video a bunch of times and became slowly wooed into my purchase. No regrets! This thing does it all and the attachments are fantastic. I mostly use ours to slice veggies, make oat flour and hummus, but you can do much more–you can even puree soup! Nerd out and watch the video.
10. LODGE CAST IRON SKILLETS: We have two of these skillets in our house–a 12″ skillet for cooking vegetarian food and an 8″ one for my husband to use when he cooks portions of meat for himself. They are so sturdy and really do add a lovely different flavor to meals. I love the fact that I’m getting a little iron infused into my food because levels are so low. I like the idea of having a pair of the small 6″ pan set for making baked eggs with veggie hash in the oven for weekend brunch. They’re very low maintenance–I recommend getting the special cast-iron skillet scrubbing chains to make it even more simple. 25% OFF + FREE US shipping HERE with code: COOKWARE now thru December 15, 2013.
11. MICROPLANE RASP GRATER: These graters come in so handy. Ours is mostly used for nutmeg, cinnamon sticks, ginger and citrus. I always get excited when I make a recipe like carrot cake oatmeal that calls for a lot of nutmeg–grating it fresh right into the pan is always a very intoxicating step! We’ve had the same two awesome microplanes for 7 years.
I love the dark new Klomp Ceramics pieces made by Cape Town ceramicist, Alexia Klompje. Here are a few of my favorites above. I especially love the pieces where matte coal meets the glossy glazed coal. And the golden bits are so pretty! More HERE.
I wanted to shine a light on the wonderful shops and makers who contributed to my dreamy “Let It Go” Holiday Giveaway that launched last week. I’m wild about what these lovely folks are doing and some of them are generously offering Honey Kennedy readers sweet shop codes to nab their wonderful wares with a discount! Thanks, friends! It has been SO AMAZING to read your very personal comments on the giveaway post. Enter HERE. ♥
➔ SWEET HOLIDAY DEALS
➔ MORE SWEET DEALS
➔ ENTER ALL MY HOLIDAY GIVEAWAYS!