I love this new Mödernaked lookbook for their MöHeap Summer 2014 backpack collection. I’m typically not much of a backpack person, but I think these are really sweet. I love the ditsy florals and splash prints with the natural cotton canvas and tan leather straps. I always have a weakness for natural or white canvas paired with cognac-colored leather! The Mödernaked backpacks in blue stripes and red stripes are both lovely as well. More HERE and they also have a Mödernaked Etsy shop.
Happy Friday, friends! So, this list is pretty fantastic–we’re looking at another spell of incredible Portland events over the next few weeks. Like, REEEALLY GOOD ones. Have fun out there! I mean, until July when the heatwave melts our brains again and the only thing anyone can do is contemplate air-conditioning units, drink cold brew and go to the river in a daze–it’s just around the corner. Check out these photos of Lisa and Avery’s beautiful new ceramics collaboration, Pigeon Toe x Juju! LOVE. More HERE. xo Jen
➔ I HEART PDX
♥ SWEET NEWS: Blue Star Donuts just opened a new location at 3549 SE Hawthorne. Coava Coffee has a new location—Coava Espresso Bar at 2631 SE Hawthorne. Saint Cupcake has new cupcake-loving local owners and is set to reopen both their locations—3300 SE Belmont is already open and the 1138 SW Morrison location will open in a month or so. YAY!
♥ Fri. May 30 (10AM—6PM), Sat. May 31 (10AM—6PM) & Sun. June 1 (11AM—4PM). Come to the Schoolhouse Electric Spring Cleaning Sample Sale! There will be amazing deals on lighting, furniture, rugs, hardware, art, accessories, linens and Egg Press cards for $1. Lots of great stuff at amazing prices–shop early for the best selection! Schoolhouse Electric is at 2181 NW Nicolai St. MORE INFO.
♥ Fri, May 30. 3PM—5PM. Cacao is hosting a chocolate tasting and book signing for The Chocolate Tasting Kit by pastry and International Chocolate Awards permanent grand jury member, Chef Eagranie Yuh. She will be signing her new book/kit and will present a selection of her favorite chocolates from Cacao. Cacao is at 414 SW 13th Ave. MORE INFO.
♥ Sat, May 31. 12PM—6PM. Amazing accessories designer Sara Barner is having a HUGE Moving Sale. She is moving studios in June and will be clearing out samples and discontinued items that will be marked down up to 75% OFF! Her designs are beeeeautiful. Sara Barner’s studio is at the Ford Building, Suite 100. 2505 SE 11th Ave. MORE INFO.
♥ Sat, May 31. 5PM—??. Colette Patterns is having a party to celebrate their 5 Year Anniversary & Book Launch! Colette Patterns’ Sarai Mitnick and Alyson Clair are throwing fun 2 part party that starts at 5PM with a meet and greet at Modern Domestic on Alberta. The MoDo ladies will be hosting with sweets and wine while everyone chats about sewing, fabric and projects. Meet lovely Alyson, bring your The Colette Guide to Sewing Knits books for her to sign and find some lovely knits to use in your next sewing project. At 7PM the party moves across the street and over to Radio Room (3 blocks away) for a fun after party on the upstairs patio. Modern Domestic is at 1408 NE Alberta St. and Radio Room is at 1101 NE Alberta St. MORE INFO. You’re invited, just make sure to RSVP —> HERE.
♥ Sat, May 31 (9AM–4PM) & Sun, June 1 (10AM—3PM). Come to Emily and Kerby’s mega estate sale! Emily (of Sword + Fern) will be clearing out her house in this crazy awesome estate sale—and she has a lot of beautiful things. Shop major bargains, sip lavender lemonade and listen to tunes. A jewelry designer and musician selling their collection of interior decor, garden supplies, kitchen goods, clothing, jewelry, beads and art supplies, tools, housewares, furniture, unique vintage pieces and tons of miscellaneous treasures! The big sale is at 4812 NE 29th Ave. MORE INFO.
♥ Sun, June 1. Month of June. Daily. Visage Eyewear already has an AMAZING selection of eyewear (one of my favorites in the world) and for the month of June they are going to be even more amazing when they will carry an entire collection of sunglasses from iconic designer, Oliver Goldsmith (you might remember my Oliver Goldsmith post from a few years ago—also note how hard I freaked out when the man himself left a comment on that blog post). Visage Eyewear will be the only eyewear retailer in the United States carrying the 200 piece collection. Make sure to stop by to try on these frames—he is the designer behind some of the most famous celebrity eyewear looks: Grace Kelly, Audrey Hepburn, Sophia Loren, and countless others. FANTASTIC! Visage Eyewear is at 1046 NW Johnson. MORE INFO.
♥ Now. Odessa is having a super amazing Spring/Summer sale. Isabel Marant/Etoile collections 30%—50% off, Sofie D’Hoore 30% off, Apiece Apart 30% off, Pomandere 30% off and Pamela Love 30% off. Odessa is at 410 SW 13th Ave.
♥ NOW. Exciting news! Imelda’s Shoes is now matching prices! Imelda’s Shoes and Louie’s Shoes for Men will match the current listed price of any authorized retailer on the same in-stock item in their stores or on their website. Items must be in-stock, available, and of the same brand, model, size, and color as our inventory. Items must be offered by a retailer authorized by that brand to sell their merchandise. Imelda’s has two locations: 3426 SE Hawthorne and 935 NW Everett. Read all the details HERE.
♥ Fri, June 6. 5PM—10PM. Come to Union/Pine for an epic U/P pop UP event! This fun marketplace has AMAZING shops and makers in attendance. Shop wares from Summerland, Bridge & Burn, Portland Apothecary, Mazama, Nell & Mary, BLTN Jewelry, Primecut Bags, Backtalk, Beam & Anchor, Sword + Fern, Seaecho, AK Vintage, Kinfolk, Ouur, Atelier Ace, OSO, Poler, Worn Path, Make It Good, Mag-Big, Appetite Shop + Studio, Cabana and Classic Vintage Rentals. One night! Beer, wine and specialty cocktails. DJs. Food from Canteen. Ice cream from Fifty Licks. So awesome. All ages AND free. Union/Pine is at 525 SE Pine St. MORE INFO.
♥ Fri, June 6. 5PM—9PM. Come to Wanderlust for Window Dressing at Wanderlust and the opening reception for BT Livermore. Each month from June to September, Vanessa welcomes a new artist to create a window display and limited edition items exclusive to Wanderlust. For June it’s a summery ‘Anywhere & Everywhere’ installation by BT Livermore. BT works with letterpress, hand lettering, sign making, wood working and he’s one half of Man’s Face Stuff which creates some of the best mustache and beard wax here in Portland. Drinks, snacks and limited edition items will be available! Wanderlust is at 2804 SE Ankeny St. MORE INFO.
♥ Fri, June 6 thru Sun, June 8. 11AM—6PM daily. Come celebrate Stars Antiques’ 24th Birthday! Three days of fun and sales at all three of their amazing Westmoreland shops on Milwaukie Ave: Stars Antiques, Stars & Splendid Antiques and Stars Too. Stars Antiques is at 7030 SE Milwaukie (all shops are on the same block). MORE INFO.
♥ Fri, June 6. 12PM—4PM. Stop by the 5th Annual Etsy Craft Party at Collage to whoop it up on the international day of celebration of meeting and making. The PDX Etsy team and Collage on Alberta have teamed up to host Portland’s Etsy Craft party an it is a free event to the public. This year’s theme is Etsy Craft Party 2014: Recapture and you can drop by anytime between the hours of 12-4pm and Recapture your photos into new works of art. There will be three different fun crafting stations set up: Embroidery, Weaving and Quilling. You just need to bring a photo for each craft you plan to do and maybe some friends! All other supplies will be provided. There will also be fun prizes awarded throughout the day and Collage discounts. The Collage Alberta location is at 1639 NE Alberta St. MORE INFO.
♥ Fri, June 6. 6PM—9PM. Stop by Union Rose during the fun Montavilla First Friday event for a fun trunk show with Volacious and original paintings from Ursula Barton. Plus, drinks and treats! Union Rose is at 7909 SE Stark. MORE INFO.
♥ Fri, June 13. 6PM—9PM. Come to the Shop Adorn Annual Customer Appreciation Night! Drinks, food and lots of swag. Every customer will get to draw for various free gifts at checkout: Nomad scarves, Butter London nail polish, gift cards, Dynomighty wallets and Niki Biki camis. Shop Adorn is located at 4120 NE Fremont St. MORE INFO.
♥ Fri, June 13 (4PM—7PM) & Sat, June 14 (10AM—4PM). Grand Marketplace Open House and Grand Flea Market. Grand Marketplace will be having an open house with wine and snacks, chats with vendors and an early viewing and first dibs on all of the the wonderful vintage things you’ll find at the Grand Flea Market the following day. There will be 30 vendors at the flea market and yummy food trucks. Grand Marketplace is at 1005 SE Grand Ave. MORE INFO.
♥ Sun, June 15. 10AM—4PM. The next Portland Flea will be taking place at Union/Pine. Lots of amazing vendors! Plus, a classic car show as a special Father’s Day Flea treat. Located at 525 SE Pine St. MORE INFO.
♥ Sun, June 29. 11AM—5PM. Rejuvenation + FLEA Sunday Emporium! A market for local handcrafted wares, vintage finds and really good food the last Sunday of every month. The lineup is RAD! Ethan Ollie, Revive Designs, Frazier + Wing, Demimonde, Revolution Design House, Nell & Mary, Warren Goods, Emily Katz, Mazama, Walnut Studio, Caravan Pacific, The Good Mod, Remnant, Pigeon Toe, non-perishable goods, Rosemary Stafford Floral Design, Kelly Pottery, Portland Apothecary, Sweetheart Bakery, Taco Pedaler, Kuza Burger AND MORE! So good. Rejuvenation is at 1100 SE Grand. MORE INFO.
♥ Sat, July 26. Doors 6PM. Show 7PM. The Alley 33 Fashion Event will be happening again for the 4th year! Come to the outdoor summer fashion show with ready-to-wear designs by local lovelies: KD Designs, Sarah Bibb for FOLLY, Big Brown Eyes for Union Rose, Eve SkyWalker, Alicia Wood, Amelia, Carolyn Hart, Lizz Basinger , Mag-Big, Sara Bergman Apparel, Copper Union, J. Calderon, Addie Miller, Volacious, Machine Apparel, Tiffany Bean for Mabel and Zora, Quick Study and more listed soon. The show is at the 33rd Ave alley and SE Hawthorne Blvd. MORE INFO.
Images courtesy of Pigeon Toe Ceramics.
I love the stunning new Good Night, Day pre-fall 2014 collection that Tara-Lyn just launched. The lookbook is so pretty and it’s lovely to see her gorgeous new handmade knits paired with dreamy garments from Lauren Winter. I think my favorites are the Welland Sweater with Fringe (so beautiful with that silk madder dyed dress!) and the Bancroft Shell Top in Tara-Lynn’s amazing custom thick merino teal/burnt orange/gray colorway. More HERE.
It’s exciting to see these sixteen beautiful new jewelry designs added to the Erica Weiner 1909 Collection. While designing the new pieces for their new collection, Erica and Lindsay were inspired by some of their favorite antique jewels found around the world over the years on their travels. I love that some of the most dreamy new designs feature “painstakingly sourced” turn-of-the-century diamonds. The 90+ years old European cut diamonds have more variation than you’ll ever see in a modern cut and this makes those pieces even more magical. The ghostly opals, onyx and moonstones are also a dream! I also stalk their antique estate jewels at least twice a week–it’s phenomenal as well. More HERE.
If you’re in New York, check out the two amazing Erica Weiner shops! It’s so fun to try on their jewels and talk with the ladies. There’s the original shop in Nolita (173 Elizabeth Street) and the newer Brooklyn location in Boerum Hill at 360 Atlantic Avenue–both are lovely!
I LOVE HAVING THIS STUFF WHEN I TRAVEL: 1. block shop dolly scarf 2. frends layla headphones 3. tata harper bedtime treatment + tata harper stress treatment 4. wilfred cashemere socks 5. nuxe huile prodigieuse 6. burt’s bees white tea cleansing towlettes 7. nuxe reve de miel ultra nourishing lip balm 8. aesop resurrection aromatique hand balm 9. hard candy 10. clark’s rose ballet flats 11. sara barner tan toiletry case
If you are ever seated on a plane next to a girl who huffs little aromatherapy tubes, pops hard candy and listens to her shoegaze tunes just a little too loud on her headphones–that’s me! The nutter who frequently moisturizes her hands and gives herself a mini facial before covering her face with a giant scarf before whispering, “oh god. this is it…” at the smallest rattle of turbulence–that’s me! Hi AND I apologize in advance. Trying to make some loose travel plans to visit friends in other states and countries started me thinking about my odd in-flight coping rituals and personal “travel essentials”. So, here we are.
FUN FACT: For many people, a fear of flying can be triggered by a traumatic personal event shortly before or shortly after a flight–not the flight itself. This is why the phobia can come on suddenly and seems unexplained. I grew up traveling by airplane fairly often and was always totally unfazed by it until I was eighteen. I’d taken a late night flight home to Seattle after a two week visit with my grandparents while my grandmother was ill and woke up to my step-father knocking on my apartment door to come tell me that she had passed. I was devastated that she was gone and that I wasn’t there. Months later, I was going on another trip and was terrified to get on the airplane for the first time in my life. I only found out a few years ago that these two events were related. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
➔ SOME THINGS I LOVE TO TRAVEL WITH…
1. DOLLY SCARF: I love so many of the amazing prints from Block Shop Textiles. A giant scarf comes in handy when you’re traveling for many reasons: scrunched into a pillow, draped as a phobia shroud, defense for unpleasant scents, a makeshift sleep mask, and for basic chills. I love my Dolly and I’d also love to have the Light Indigo Herringbone print.
2. LAYLA HEADPHONES: These rose gold beauties were a Christmas gift to myself last year and I love them. I’m not a big fan of earbuds (don’t really like how they feel), but I’ve always just sucked it up and used whatever came with whatever device besides some GIANT white ones I’d wear around the house. These sound fantastic, feel good and are easy on the eyes. I listen to a lot of music and audiobooks on these when I fly or take the train.
3. AROMATIC STRESS TREATMENTS + AROMATIC BEDTIME TREATMENT: These little bottles of potions are pricey, but they last a long time and help keep me from pacing the aisles. They are in a rollerball form, so I can sniff them without applying them to my skin and potentially bothering other passengers’ allergies or fragrance sensitivities. I’m particularly fond of the Stress Treatment–it really does calm me down in a lot of different situations.
4. CASHMERE SOCKS: I like to have a pair in my handbag in case my feet get cold or if I just want to slip off my ballet flats. These aren’t the brand I own–I can’t remember where mine came from, but you can get a cotton or wool cashmere blend without breaking the bank and they feel nice.
5. HUILE PRODIGIEUSE (20% off code SUM20 thru 6/2): I’ve mentioned how much I love this dry oil a few times before. I have a little bottle that I can take on the plane with me and it’s lovely to be able to moisturize your face after freshening up and cleaning your skin with cleansing towelettes (see below). It’s also wonderful if your hair is frizzing up. (P.S. If you are in Portland, you can go get your Nuxe products at Nationale at 811 E. Burnside!)
6. WHITE TEA CLEANSING TOWELETTES: A lot of cleansing towelettes bother my sensitive skin, but these have never given me a problem even when I’m having a rosacea breakout.
7. REVE DE MIEL ULTRA NOURISHING LIP BALM (20% off code SUM20 thru 6/2): This wonderful stuff really hydrates and exfoliates a little bit. I get dehydrated fast when I fly and this lip balm always keeps me from getting chapped lips. I’m a compulsive lip balmer. This also makes a lovely little gift for friends and loved ones.
8. RESURRECTION AROMATIQUE HAND BALM: Hands down (cymbal crash) the best hand moisturizer I’ve ever used–I can never run out. Ever. And this is another beauty product that I love to give as a gift to friends and family.
9. HARD CANDY: Just so I get all five senses occupied to get my mind overwhelmed and distracted–I carry hard candy with me in my bag, like a proper septuagenarian. My poison is Atomic Fireballs, Lemonheads, Jolly Ranchers and lollies.
10. ROSE BALLET FLATS: I only wear comfy ballet flats when I travel. Not shown are the absolutely necessary pair of skimmer socks, so you can go through airport security without being barefoot (horrors!). I like that they are barely there and you can slip them on and off easily. I bought these sweet pink ones recently and they are great.
11. TAN LEATHER TOILETRY CASE: I don’t actually own this beautiful cosmetics case from Sara Barner yet, but I really want it to neatly store all my little travel tools. I also want all of Sara’s other amazing bags.
12. MAGAZINES (not shown): For me, plane trips are a time for trashy mags. I’m always too distracted with my flight phobic thoughts (“We’re in a metal bird!”) to read something I really want to enjoy. I just want some dumb gossip and fashion rags to flip through and leave in the seat pocket when we land. I keep my good import mags to read at home!